Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Sigrid's Vacation House

On Friday, Kim drove Sigrid, Unn and I to Sigrid's vacation house in southern Sweden on the Baltic Sea. Kim was nervous to drive Unn's father's BMW in Sweden, but Unn was very helpful in translating Swedish road signs so Kim quickly overcame her nervousness



The backseat passengers also felt safe




Once at Sigrid's house, we were immediately ordered to put on bikinis and enjoy the sunshine! Sigrid's father took us out on his motorboat, and we got to swim in the sea. Those photos are on Kim's camera, but here's a photo of the bay – the view of Sigrid's family's house.




After boating and swimming, we helped make dinner – we got the exciting job of digging potatoes out of the garden! The Swedes enjoyed teaching Americans that food does, in fact, come from the ground. Being American, we were appropriately surprised to learn that food does is not spontaneously created in a deep fryer.






After dinner we sat around enjoying the daylight, since it gets dark at like 10 or 10:30, and trying to choke down some gross Swedish beer. Seeing our suffering, Sigrid made us gin and juice instead – we thought it was pretty ironic that we were from California but never had gin and juice until we got to Sweden. (Katie Perry reference, anyone?) Also, with all the potatoes, and then the gin, it made me miss Momo!

The next day Kim and I got up and wandered aimlessly around the house, until we were once again ordered to put on bikinis. We sat out by the water, and I was a rebel and attempted to tan but only ended up with a mild sunburn. Which for me is the same thing as a tan so its okay!

For lunch, Kim and I demanded Swedish meatballs, which Unn cooked for us.

My Swedish experience was really completed by eating lingonberries and meatballs with a blonde Swedish girl in a bikini

4 comments:

  1. Mmmm, potatoes and gin+juice sounds like my kind of heaven.

    And I don't know if Katy Perry is the ref for gin+juice, but it's originally a Snoop Dogg reference. D-O-DOUBLE G.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know Snoop Dogg sings about gin and juice, but Katie Perry says CA girls drink it, I don't remember Snoop Dogg specifying what state his girls are from!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wasn't sure what you were talking about and then I listened to the song you referred to and now I understand!

    What a wacky music video...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Book hotel online faster at vactionexploit and also find hot hotel deal with ease and comfort of your life. to find cheap hotel online we are only one call and clicks away Hot hotels deals

    ReplyDelete